Sea Asparagus Pesto Salmon Sandwiches
This wonderful recipe was created and submitted by Tris form freshflavorful.com. Made with baked pesto salmon, salmon patties, or smoked salmon it’s a perfect weeknight dinner recipe.
This recipe uses a delicious alternative form of pesto made from nutrient-dense kelp and sea asparagus. Loaded with calcium, iron, Vitamin B and C and Vitamin A sea beans are crunchy and salty with an asparagus-like flavor. Foraged and Found's Sea Asparagus Pesto tastes just as delicious (if not more delicious!) than traditional jarred pesto sauce.
Start with a juicy salmon filet with a pesto crust. Serve on a garlic rubbed ciabatta roll with melted cheese, crunchy lettuce, fresh basil, thinly sliced red onions, and juicy tomato. And be sure to add a generous amount of pesto sauce. Turn into a salmon burger recipe by substituting salmon cakes for the pesto salmon. Serve on traditional hamburger or brioche bun.
- Salmon (1 lb) – choose smaller fillets, if possible, to be baked with a pesto crust. Or substitute grilled salmon, smoked salmon, chilled leftover salmon or even salmon cakes.
- Pesto – one jar of Foraged and Found Sea Asparagus Pesto
- Swiss Cheese - 4 ounces sliced
- Lettuce – bibb, butter or substitute any crisp, leafy greens you have on hand.
- Red onion – 1 small onion or substitute pickled onions
- Ciabatta rolls - 4 medium rolls
- Garlic clove
- Mayonnaise - 1/4 cup
- 1 Lemon
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or other oven safe liner.
- Slather salmon fillet with pesto sauce.
- Bake pesto salmon in preheated oven until cooked through, about 7-10 minutes.
- When salmon is evenly cooked through remove from oven and let rest
- Meanwhile slice ciabatta rolls in half and rub the cut sides lightly with crushed garlic clove to add a hint of flavor. Then toast rolls in still-warm oven.
- Layer toasted ciabatta with mayo, pesto, salmon, cheese, red onion, tomato and lettuce. Skewer to hold if necessary.
- Serve with chips and a pickle. Or fries, or a salad.